TIMELINE 1892 – 2018

Take a scroll down memory lane to see what has happened at NGU over the past 125 years.

 

1892

1892

The North Greenville Baptist Association founded a high school on 10 acres of land in Tigerville, SC. The original school building had three rooms, two porches, and one piano.

1892-1895

1892-1895

1st Principal – Hugh Lafayette Brock

1893

Classes began at North Greenville High School (NGHS).

1895-1898

1895-1898

2nd Principal – John Silas Miles Finch

1898-1902

1898-1902

3rd Principal – Oscar Peterson

1902

1902

NGHS had its first graduating class. By this year, around 22 percent of NGHS students taught in summer schools throughout Greenville County.

1902-1904

1902-1904

4th Principal – S. Frank Boyles

1905

1905

NGHS came under the authority of the Southern Baptist Convention through the Home Mission Board.

1904

1904

5th Principal – William Fletcher Scott

1906

1906

6th Principal – Leslie Augustus Jones

1910-1912

1910-1912

7th Principal – John Dean Crain

1912

1912

The school purchased 90 acres of land, tended by students who could take care of the farm in exchange for tuition.

1912

1912

8th Principal – Leonard Simpson

1915

1915

North Greenville High School became North Greenville Baptist Academy (NGBA).

1919-1928

1919-1928

9th Principal – Henry Clayton Hester

1919

1919

Students published the first edition of a North Greenville yearbook, titled “The Moonshiner.”

1928-1962

1928-1962

10th Principal / 1st President – Murphree Claude Donnan

1929

Governance of North Greenville returned to the North Greenville Baptist Association.

1934

North Greenville Baptist Academy became North Greenville Baptist Academy and Junior College.

1936

1936

North Hall (Renamed White Hall in 1952, this is one of the oldest buildings on campus.)

1938

1938

First edition of the “Aurora” yearbook

1943

1943

Neves Dining Hall (now Neves Academic Hall)

1949

North Greenville transferred its property to the ownership of the South Carolina Baptist Convention, becoming part of the convention’s cooperative program.

1950

1950

Gymnasium (now Hayes Gymnasium) – Already, the school had developed intercollegiate sports teams in football, basketball, and baseball.

1950

North Greenville Baptist Academy and Junior College became North Greenville Junior College (NGJC).

1953

1953

Jean Martin Flynn wrote the school’s first history book: “A History of North Greenville Junior College.”

1955

1955

Donnan Administration Building

1958

1958

Turner Auditorium (now Turner Chapel)

1962

1962

Crain Science Building

1962

1962

2nd President – Thomas L. Neely

1965

1965

Foster Student Center (now Foster Education Center)

1967

Henry J. Howard wrote the school’s second history book: “From These Roots: The Story of North Greenville Junior College, 1892-1967.”

1970-1975

1970-1975

3rd President – Harold E. Lindsey

1972

North Greenville Junior College became North Greenville College (NGC).

1974

1974

Averyt/Wood Learning Center

1975

1975

4th President – George Silver

1980

1980

Interim President – Herbert Sierk

1981-1987

1981-1987

5th President – Dr. James D. Jordan, Jr.

1984

1984

Baseball Field (later dedicated Ashmore Field)

1987-1988

1987-1988

Interim President – Dr. John A. Fincher

1988-1991

1988-1991

6th President – Dr. Paul Talmadge

1988

NGC ranked first in summer missions among colleges in South Carolina and seventh in the nation, with 18 appointees.

1990

1990

Younts Athletic Center (now Younts Fitness Center)

1991-2015

1991-2015

7th President – Dr. Jimmy Epting

1993

NGC send out its first group of summer Foreign Missionaries.

1993

NGC began a record enrollment streak of 21 years.

1994

NGC gained accreditation as a four-year institution.

1994

North Greenville Baptist Association sponsored a tent crusade at NGC during the first week of school, which became an annual tradition.

1994

Centrifuge hosted at NGU reached a participation of 3,500 youth and leaders that summer.

1995-1996

Baptist Student Union ministries served in 235 South Carolina Baptist churches during this school year.

1996

1996

NGC unveiled the “Divine Servant” sculpture, the first of many “Jesus sculptures” located across campus.

1996

1996

Hayes Ministry Center

2001

2001

Hayes Christian Fine Arts Center

2005

2005

NGU Athletic Complex, including Younts Football Stadium, Fogle Field, Sullivan President’s Box, Mitchell Visitor’s Center, Hendricks Athletic Center, and Pepsi Soccer Stadium.

2005

2005

A Steinway Gala celebrated NGC’s designation as an “All-Steinway” institution.

2005

2005

Todd Dining Hall and Tingle Student Center

2006

2006

NGC introduces its first graduate degrees: the Master of Christian Ministry (MCM) and Master of Business Administration (MBA).

2006

2006

Runion Creative Arts Center, Studio at Ole 414, and Einstein Bros. Bagels

2006

2006

Tigerville School of Theatre

2006

North Greenville College became North Greenville University, now with seven distinct colleges, as well as online and graduate programs.

2010

Billingsley Theatre

2011

2011

Craft-Hemphill Center (also called the “Worldview Center”)

2012

2012

Todd Prayer Chapel

2014

2014

Vance Tennis Complex

2015

2015

Track and Field Facility

2015

2015

Kelly Strength and Conditioning Center

2015

2015

Tigerville General Store

2015-2017

2015-2017

Interim President – Dr. Randall Pannell

2016

2016

Slackline park, sand volleyball and basketball courts, fire pit, and a landscape feature of the university icon

2016

2016

McDonald Softball Field

2017

2017

NGU opened a new campus for online and graduate programs at 405 Lancaster Ave. in Greer, SC.

2017

2017

Christian Universities Online named NGU a best Christian university in the South.

2017-Present

2017-Present

8th President – Dr. Gene C. Fant, Jr.

2018

2018

Dillard Baseball Field