A vital part of the history of North Greenville is the Tigerville Baptist Church.
The organization of the church took place in 1918, but its origin goes back to January, 1893 with a weekly prayer meeting at the North Greenville High School, Sunday School, Training Union, a young women’s circle and a Royal Ambassador Band was added. Services were held in the school auditorium.
During these years, the church had the responsibility of ministering to students as well as to the faculty and community. Quality academic and religious training was provided by the North Greenville Academy and fostered by the church.
Plans for the first building were approved in 1946. The site for the building was donated by the late Mrs. Pearl Holcombe, class of 1897. Additional property was purchased from the B. F. Neves estate. This building was first used for services in the spring of 1948. On December 26, 1960, the building and all the furnishings were destroyed by fire.
Again, the church used college buildings for worship and Bible teaching while the present building was under construction. First services in the building were held February 24, 1963.
In 1960, the trustees of North Greenville voted for college funds to be used, if necessary, to supplement the pastor’s salary. A further expression of interest by the Trustees in the church program was in providing that “as much as $25,000 of the remaining debt of the present church would be assumed by the college and paid on a monthly basis.”
The link between the college and the Tigerville Church is bound together not only in history, but in a genuine concern and commitment to provide the best academic and religious training for the college community and a desire to provide a place of worship for the college family and the community.
The present pastor of the church is the Reverend Major Francis T. Alewine – class of 1948. A native of Taylors, and son of Mr. and Mrs. George W. Alewine, he retired from the Air Force as a Chaplain in 1979. He is a graduate of Furman and Southwestern Seminary.
Rev. Alewine is married to the former Doris Blackburn – class of 1951, daughter of Rev. and Mrs. W. C. Blackburn. The Alewines have three children: Ruth (Mrs. Bobby) Page, at Southwestern; Alan, an engineer for Daniel International; and Mary (Mrs. Rick) Posey, in the Evangelism Department of the General Baptist Convention of Texas.
Article printed in the October 1980 issue of the North Greenville College Alumni Newsletter.