North Greenville College has received a grant of $100,000 from the Self Foundation. The funds will be used for the cost of construction of the first unit of a new residential facility for housing male students.
Plans call for eight residence halls at a cost of approximately $100,000 each. They are designed for great flexibility in year-round use and economy for regular students and short-term conferences held on campus. (More than 2,000 persons used our facilities this past summer, and this project could increase that number coming from churches and other groups.) Each building will have two floors with six double rooms opening into a common lounge on each floor. The arrangement and size of each hall promotes student responsibility in community living and gives the college maximum efficiency in operation.
The new facility will replace Lawton Hall, built in 1960, which has provided years of good use in student housing and is no longer economically repairable. The deterioration of age and the demand for energy efficiency have led to the recommendation of the residential-type construction to provide for 192 men.
The Self Foundation, established in 1942 by the late James C. Self, a Greenwood textile executive, is dedicated primarily to the support of health care, education and cultural programs, and activities for youth and the elderly. Grants are limited almost exclusively to South Carolina.
Dr. George Silver, upon receiving notification of the grant from the Self Foundation, expressed on behalf of the college, “our most genuine gratitude for this support and for the confidence which it represents. We are now in a position to move ahead to make concrete plans to build the new residence facility for our campus.”
The South Carolina Baptist Convention, in its annual session in November, approved the college’s request to borrow up to one million dollars for dormitory construction. This moves the project a step closer to reality.
Article published in the January 1980 North Greenville College Alumni Newsletter.