Mrs. L. B. (Mother) White retired as dean of women at North Greenville June 1 after sixteen years of continuous service to the college.
She had previously been connected with the school when she was music and voice instructor from 1916 to 1919 while her husband was a member of the faculty.
A native of Clyde County, N.C., Mrs. White was named house mother for girls in 1941, holding that position until her retirement.
Known affectionately as “Mother” White, she has truly been a mother to scores of co-eds on the North Greenville campus throughout her years of service. She not only has “adopted” daughters in South Carolina, but in many other states.
A permanent memorial of Mrs. White has been placed in White Hall, girl’s dormitory. The memorial, a portrait of “Mother” White, which was purchased by the students, was presented to the college at the alumni banquet May 24, 1957. Student spokesman Shelby Jean Brown made the presentation.
“Mother” White is making her home with her daughter, Miss Edna White in Greer.
Photo: From left: “Mother” White and Miss Brown.
Published in the September, 1957, North Greenville Junior College Alumni News