Since its founding as an academy and the addition of junior college work, North Greenville has proved to be a lighthouse of educational and spiritual opportunity for hundreds of young men and young women of limited means.
The influence of North Greenville upon the spiritual life of our State is attested to by the fact that the Annual Report of the Baptist Denomination in South Carolina for 1950 listed among the ordained ministers pastoring churches in the State more than 125 pastors who had obtained their initial training at North Greenville. This figure does not include those ministers who are not pastoring churches nor those who are serving churches outside of South Carolina.
Besides those who have trained for the ministry after leaving North Greenville, there are scattered throughout our State hundreds of laymen and lay-women who are serving in their respective communities as leaders in social, business, and spiritual affairs.
The Dean Crain Ministerial Band is pictured, which includes about half the ministerial students attending North Greenville at present. Because some are day students and live at a distance from the campus, they are not active members of the Band.
A number of these ministerial students are now pastoring churches in the upper part of South Carolina.
Front row: (left to right) – B. Brissy, D. Jones, R. Ayers, F. Hellams, C. Bates, B.T. Tucker, J. D. Rush, F. Williams, R. Aho, J. Stansell.
Second row – M. Durham, H. Chalk, F. Brazzle, J. Holliday, Dr. Crain, Dr. Lamm, D. Paris, C. Lucado, K. Hughey, R. Hodges, C. Griffin.
Back row – F. L. Johnson, R. L. Manning, J. G. Johnson, J. Cave, P. Belcher, J. Holley, R. Short, B. Nelson, W. Brown, P. Scoggins, H. Fortson. (Eighteen members of the Band were absent when the picture was taken.)
Published in the March, 1952 issue of the North Greenville Junior College Alumni News