In 1957, the North Greenville Baptist Academy was disbanded after 65 years, but its alumni are determined it will not be forgotten. A monument to the school was unveiled September 26, 1985 as part of Founders Day activities at the college.
The inscription on the marker reads: North Greenville Baptist Academy, 1892-1957, “A Light Set on a Hill,” founded by North Greenville Baptist Association. The monument was placed there by the Academy Club which was formed in 1982 to “keep alive the memory of North Greenville Academy.”
The 50-inch-high-marker is located between Donnan Administration Building and Dean Crain Science Building. It was unveiled by Lou Brooks (’29) and Dollie Wooten (’33). Both were members of the Academy Club executive committee and lived in Greer.
Marion Moorhead (’34) and also a graduate of the first college class of 1936, president of the club, in a brief address told the audience at the dedication ceremony “we thank God the North Greenville Baptist Association had the courage to begin the North Greenville Baptist Academy,” He and his wife, the former Thelma Chandler (’37) were former missionaries to Japan.
Published in the Winter, 1985-1986 North Greenville College Alumni Newsletter